DUI Defense: Frequently Asked Questions

Are you facing DUI charges? If so, you are likely filled with fear, and have many questions regarding what a DUI conviction will mean for your future. To have your questions answered more fully, contact a San Jose DUI attorney at our firm as soon as possible.

For answers to many DUI FAQs, please see the list of commonly asked questions below:

  1. Do you need a DUI lawyer?
  2. Will I go to jail for a DUI?
  3. What are my rights?
  4. What happens if I refused my breath or blood test?
  5. Will I have to go to court?
  6. Will I lose my driver's license?
  7. Will I have to attend rehab or counseling?
  8. What is an ignition interlock device?
  9. Should I accept a plea?
  10. Will a DUI be on my record forever?
  11. How can prescription drugs lead to DUI charges?
  12. Can my DUI be reduced to a lesser charge?

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I have to go to court?
The DUI court process is lengthy and complicated, and you will likely have to appear in court at least once, for your arraignment. Having an attorney to represent you can ease the stress and burden of appearing in court.

Will I lose my driver's license?
When you are arrested for DUI, your driver's license is automatically confiscated, and unless you act quickly, you may lose your license for a lengthy period of time. An attorney can help you schedule a DMV hearing and fight for you to retain your driving privileges.

Will I have to attend rehab or counseling?
Agreeing to attend alcohol rehab or counseling can help you avoid a more serious penalty such as jail time, and is often a good option for first time offenders. Repeat DUI offenders are often required to attend counseling.

What is an ignition interlock device?
An ignition interlock device is something that is installed in your car and will prevent your vehicle from being turned on unless you submit a clean breath sample. This is often a penalty for second, third, or fourth time DUI convictions.

Should I accept a plea?
The details of your case may be such that accepting a guilty plea with reduced punishment may be a better solution than taking your case to trial. However, this can only be answered after discussing your case and all options thoroughly with your attorney.

Will a DUI be on my record forever?
If you are convicted, after a certain amount of time, you can file a petition to have your DUI expunged from your record. A DUI conviction can have a devastating impact on your life, and prevent you from getting a good job, or even from being accepted to college. DUI expungement can help you overcome the stigma of a DUI by erasing it from your record.

Have more questions? We have answers!

It is clear that DUI is a complex area of the law, and as such you need a San Jose DUI lawyer who is dedicated to fighting for your rights. At The Law Offices of Adam Allen Arant, Esq., we understand that this is a difficult and trying time for you and your family, and we will do everything in our power to minimize the damage that you sustain in your life. For answers to other inquiries you may have, please contact our firm right away.

Contact The Law Offices of Adam Allen Arant

We Will Review Your Case For Free

Send My Message